If the following Q&A could not make a solution to your problem, please ask Shimane University Library Catalogue and System Section (cat@lib.shimane-u.ac.jp).


What is the SWAN?

SWAN is an Institutional Repository which is a system to preserve and disclose the research result of University or Research Organization.

Registration of Articles: General

I am a faculty member of Shimane University. What is a merit to register my article to SWAN?

There are merits as follows:

  • You get an opportunity which your article is read by people all over the world.
  • Your article would increase the opportunity to be cited.
  • You can give back the research result to the community.
  • You can see your research result anytime.

I am a faculty member of Shimane University. I have already disclosed my article in arXiv.org and I think there is no need to register it on SWAN, too.

We ask you to register articles on SWAN to ensure preservation the research result. We think articles disclosed by Open Access Periodicals or external repository such as arXiv.org and ResearchGate, should be also disclosed in SWAN in the context of that Shimane University need preserve and inherit the research result.

I am a full-time Associate Professor. Do I need to register my article on SWAN?

Yes, you do. Full-time academic staff such as professor, associate professor, assistant professor and Associate Professor need to register their research result on SWAN.

I am a full-time Associate Professor. Do I need to register poster presentation or newspaper article?

No, you don’t. But if you want to register poster presentation or other materials into SWAN, we would accept it. If you need more information about this topic, please check Shimane University Institutional Repository Operational Guidelines Article 5 and an appendix.

I am a lecturer. Is it possible to disclose my article on SWAN?

Yes, it is. The person who can register his/her research result is a faculty member, a board member, and a staff belonging to Shimane University. If you need more information about this topic, please check Shimane University Institutional Repository Operational Guidelines Article 4.

Now I am a faculty member of Shimane University and I will move to another university. Is my article going to remove from SWAN?

No, it isn't. When a Shimane University faculty member registered an article on SWAN, it remains to be disclosed even after the member moved or left the job.

I am a full-time assistant professor. I coauthored an article with other university faculty member. I am neither a first author nor a corresponding author. Should the article be registered on SWAN?

Yes, it should. All articles Shimane University faculty member joined as an author are included in the scope of research result which is necessary to be registered on SWAN.

I am a faculty member. I read the “Shimane University Open Access Policy”. Do I have to register my article published in 2000?

No, you don’t. The policy applies to the research result published after the date of enactment (May 17, 2018). But we accept registration of a research result formerly published.

I contributed an article to an academic periodical. According to web site of the periodical, I must not register my article on Institutional Repository for 1 year from the publication date. May I send you the PDF file now because I might forget to register it on SWAN 1 year later?

Of course you can. We shall withhold disclosing the full text until the designated date by disclosure restriction function of SWAN.

I am an editorial board member of Shimane University Bulletin. Though I have a bulletin which should be registered on SWAN, I do not have PDF file of articles. How should I do?

Please send us a printed bulletin which we can cut off the binding. We make PDF file by cutting off the bulletin and scanning each pages.

I am a faculty member. Is it possible to remove my article from SWAN?

Yes, but it is depending on circumstances. We would like you to tell us the reason.

I want to register my article on SWAN but I do not want to disclose it to outside the university. Is it possible to restrict the access from outside the university?

Yes, but articles registered on SWAN are generally disclosed to outside the university. If you request to restrict access from outside the university, we would make it accessible only from inside the university.

I am a doctoral student. I have heard I need to submit a summary if unable to disclose full text of my thesis. But I already submit abstract with my thesis. Is it possible to replace the summary by the abstract? What is the difference?

The abstract and the summary have each role here, the abstract is one of required document for your application of degree. It is your essential point of the thesis and must be disclosed in 3 months after the conferment of degree. On the other hand, the summary is necessary to be disclosed instead of full text if unable to publish whole of the thesis. The summary must enable guess pf whole thesis sufficiently. In other words, if the abstract enables guess pf whole thesis sufficiently, it is possible to replace the summary by the abstract.

Registration of Articles: Copyright

When my article is registered on SWAN, is the copyright transferred to Shimane University?

No, it isn’t. The author keep copyright even after the registration.

My article was published in an academic periodical and the copyright was transferred to the academic society. Therefore it is difficult to decide to register my article on SWAN or not on my own. Do I have to inquire the academic society by myself when I need to register the article on SWAN?

No, you don’t. The library inquire a publisher or an academic society which hold the copyright, and we register the article under the condition from the owner of copyright.

A publisher told me that registration of final draft on Institutional Repository is possible. What is the final draft?

The final draft is the final version in author’s hand before it is accepted. Please ask the library if you want more information.

I want to register an article on SWAN though it is already registered on other Institutional Repository. Is it possible?

Please tell us the URL of Institutional Repository where you have already registered your article. We would confirm it is possible or not.

I belong to other University. I want to register the article, which already has been registered on SWAN, on the Institutional Repository of the University I belong. Is it possible? And may I use the PDF file registered on SWAN?

Yes, it is. When you already get the permission from relevant parties of copyright, you may register it. And you may also use the PDF file registered on SWAN.

How to use

What is the point to be careful about reading and citing articles registered on SWAN?

The copyright of articles registered on SWAN is not abandoned. The copyright resides the author, publisher or academic society. So you need to use the articles without infringing the copyright.

Where can I download a PDF file of an article?

You can download the PDF by clicking the thumbnail or the icon of “Publisher’s version/PDF” etc. You can get more information here.

I couldn't access a PDF file of an article even as it has been registered on SWAN. Why couldn't I access it?

The probable causes are two. The first, the PDF file is open, limited only inside the Shimane University. The second, some problem occurred and it is unavailable. We would confirm it and notify to you, so please contact us.

I sometimes see plural URLs in one page on SWAN. Which URL should I cite in my article or refer on SNS?

We recommend to cite or refer to the URL next to "Use this link to cite this item" in the detail page of each article, to avoid the link decay.